CHOCOLATE COCONUT CUPCAKES
Perfectly moist chocolate coconut cupcakes with fluffy chocolate coconut buttercream frosting!
PREP TIME : 20 mins
COOK TIME : 20 mins
TOTAL TIME :40 mins
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ? cup oil
- ½ cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup milk (I used fat free half and half)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ? cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (or more to taste)
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- ? cup toasted coconut flakes (optional)
1-Preheat oven to 350 and place cupcake liners in muffin tins.
2- Sift cake mix into a medium bowl and set aside. In a larger bowl mix together eggs, oil, greek yogurt (or sour cream), vanilla, coconut, and milk. Mix in cake mix until smooth. Fill each liner ¾ full. Bake 15-20 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
3- For the frosting, beat butter until very light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Mix in cocoa powder, coconut, and 3 tablespoons heavy cream, mix until smooth. Mix in 3 cups powdered sugar. Add additional cream and/or powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached (*for piping you will want to double the frosting recipe and look for a slightly stiffer consistency). Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes if desired. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 3-4 days. Enjoy!